Uruguay is a beautiful country in South America. With its amazing natural sites, ranches, hunting areas and rich cultural heritage, it is among the most popular tourist destinations in the world. It is also an ideal destination for gourmet tourists. Its rich cuisine is derived from the cuisine of various European nations like Germany, France, Britain, Portugal, Italy etc. This article offers valuable information regarding some of the popular cuisines of Uruguay:
- Chivito- This is an extremely popular sandwich shaped dish of Uruguay. Its main component is thin slice of churrasco beef, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, black olives, green olives, mayonnaise, mozzarella and ham. In order to enhance the taste other ingredients like cucumber, red pepper, red beets and peas can be added. It is served in a bun along with French fries. This dish is known for being the national dish of Uruguay.
- Asado- In Uruguay barbeque is termed as Asado. It comprises chiefly of beef along with other meats like mutton, pork and chicken. The barbeque is cooked on a grill under open fire. They are usually served along with red wine. Salads comprising of onion, corn, potato and eggplants are taken to enhance the taste of the meal.
- Choripan- It is among the most delectable dishes of Uruguay. It comprises of lip smacking hot rolls containing pork and beef. They are either served in one piece or cut in to two halves. They are generally used as appetizers before the main course meal.
- Empanadas- Like many of the other popular Uruguayan dishes, it was introduced by the Italian and Spanish emigrants. They mainly comprise of a covering of wheat flour in which ingredients like beef, fish, cheese, ham, olives are stuffed inside. Apart from the spicy empanadas, sweet empanadas comprising of sugar, apple jam or chocolate are also savored in Uruguay.
- Farinata- It is thin pancake made from chickpea flour. It is prepared by mixing chickpea flour in a combination of water and olive oil. A loose batter is formed and baked in an oven. It is seasoned with ingredients like sea salt, rosemary and pepper. It is cut in to triangular slices and served in plates. It can also be served in between slices of bread.
- Mate- It is the traditional drink of Uruguay. Prepared by steeping yeba mate leaves in hot water, it is extremely rich in caffeine. It is served with a special straw called bombilla. The unique feature of this straw is that it is created from silver.
- Milanesa- This dish originated in the city of Milano in Italy. It was brought to Uruguay by the Italian emigrants of the nineteenth century. Its main constituent is a thin slice of any meat like pork, chicken, beef or vegetarian products like soya or eggplant. The slice is immersed in beaten eggs, salt, mozzarella cheese, garlic, tomato paste and parsley. The next step is to dip them in flour and fry them. Instead of frying, the slices can also be baked in an oven.
Anyone visiting Uruguay must enjoy these delectable dishes!
If you are planning to visit Argentina, make sure that you apply for the Argentina Reciprocity Fee.